- Selasa, 15 Maret 2011

Amid my Published Work and my Lovely City...


I think I was lucky when I got this assignment from a famous National Geographic family magazine, National Geographic Traveler.

I got a message from one of NGI Forum coordinator for Surabaya region--Muhammad Adhitama, then he connected me with one of the writers, Ukirsari Manggalani or mbak Ari. She said om Rey (Reynold Sumayku, the photo editor) asked me to photograph Ampel. I didn't know why he choosed me (I guessed it's because I'm Adhitama's friends. My photos aren't too fascinating like other NG photographers made...but I'm trying of course :P). Lately, I asked to write the article too. I had a notion that I should challenge myself to be more than I usually do--only making pictures. Dot. Alhamdulillah, they gave me the opportunity.

Although writing is used to be my soulmate, I almost never write about serious topic like this Ampel assignment: history, people's testimony, analizing, drowning into many-many datas which I hardly searched it anywhere, meeting many-many people with various backgrounds to get the old stories about that place, then gathering all of those things into one full article...an article that should make people concerned about Ampel, not only walking around and act like tourist or backpacker-look-alike.

According to the contract of employment, I can't upload the original file of published images. But I can still show you my printed version I scanned from the magazine. It was officially published in National Geographic Traveler magazine of Indonesia, January 2011 edition.

Good news, then. Although my works were edited (a lot--sigh. Hehe), I have asked to work for another historic place to write and photograph, for the same article again.
Glad to hear that, because it means I will have more chances to do better and better.

Another advantages is now I have such deeper understanding about my lovely city, Surabaya. For over years I complained and had much griefs because of being born and living in this hot city. 22 years is enough for me, I always want to just get out. I want to leave this 'home'. But the more I walk in its wide pedestrians, the more I photographed it, the more it's captivating. Yes, it's a bloody real home. Damn! (but I still want to get out of here...haha)

And yes...I know I'm still no one.
(Young and dangerous, some people said..haha).
I need to learn harder and look further.
Being open minded but well-argued is important, isn't it?

Cheers ;)

Other pages:





2 komentar: